Sunday, August 25, 2013

VMAs

So I just finished watching the 2013 VMAs, and I'm essentially speechless. I don't know that I've ever watched an awards show and felt so awkward. Even when Kanye took the mic from Taylor Swift, it didn't feel this awkward. Miley Cyrus? Really? And the fact that I wasn't entirely appalled by Lady Gaga's performance? What is happening? Did anyone else feel that way?

However, I will say that I truly and completely enjoyed the performances by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, as well as Justin Timberlake. Macklemore is a phenomenal rapper, and that's coming from someone who rarely listens to rap. He uses it as a platform to address social issues, and his videos are not rampant with female dancers and fancy cars like I'm used to seeing. It's a very refreshing change.

And quite honestly, who doesn't love Justin Timberlake? He is a born performer. I'm truly impressed by his ability to give a 20 minute performance without a break. AND the fact that he threw N'Sync in there. I died a little. I'm not normally the type to fangirl, but I'd be lying if I said my 13 year-old self didn't squeal a bit. And that my Twitter blew up. Not ashamed.

With all that being said, I do enjoy awards shows, but hopefully next year I can watch the VMAs without feeling some sense of discomfort. I definitely think that I value an artist based on whether or not they can give a solid, entertaining performance. My M.O. seems to be that if you are a genuinely talented person, and can perform well on stage, usually I'll like you. Though no matter what, I just can't seem to enjoy the scream-y type music. Alas.

Hopefully you all enjoyed the VMAs, or at least felt less awkward than I did. I'm off to the wonders of dreamland now.


Be good!
KG

No comments:

Post a Comment